Home

Graphcat

WordPerfect Photo Album Catalogs & Clip Art

published by Science Translations


February 12th, 2005 at 7:09 pm

Reference pages are wrong when using reference tools

Postby Graphcat on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:13 pm
(From my mailbag…)

I am sorry to bother you, but am wondering if you would know the answer to my problem. I am doing a document using index, table of contents, and table of authorities. However, all of the reference pages are listed after generation as one page more than the actual page it is on. When I click on the hyperlink, it takes me to the correct page, but the number for example, shows page 7, when the reference title is actually on page 6. I have removed all page numbering codes and renumbered the pages so the page numbers are correct. I have also double checked and triple checked the reveal codes to make sure they are where they are supposed to be, but after generation, it still shows up the wrong page number. Have you ever dealt with a problem like this? I am using WordPerfect 12 and MS XP. Never had a problem before like this. Any help would be appreciated. I used to belong to a WP group here in MI, but don\’t think is around anymore.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Gloria–

This sounds like a few things, some of which you’ve already looked at. Could be page number codes or odd items in reveal codes, right.

Could also be any of these:
Document reformatting by one page break near the front on insertion of the generated tables. (Look for 1-line pages in the generated document, or completely full pages in the pre-generation document. Adjust formatting to prevent.)

Corrupted document. Make a copy of the files in another folder, and test by chopping the document in half, but keep the tables. Generate, and see if the problem is only in one half of the document. Narrow it down from there. Or try the old corruption fix of creating a new document, add a space, and insert the file.

It’s also possible that you’ve exceeded WP’s capabilities of document complexity. That’s easy to test–remove the table of contents and table of authorities, and generate, and see if the index is correct. Repeat for the other generated sections. I suspect you’ll find you’re doing more than WP ever tested. If so, you might have to fudge it by inserting a few blank pages, generating the extra table separately, and then pasting the results into the final master document.

Jerry Stern
Moderator and Webmaster
Author of Graphcat and FileTiger
http://www.startupware.com
http://www.filetiger.com
http://www.graphcat.com

Jerry,
Thank you so much for your reply. I did manage to fix the problem (I have a hard time giving up on a problem)… I found a page code in the opening document style page, deleted that, deleted any mention of any page code that I could find on any of the first few pages, entered new page codes, still wouldn’t work. Played around with the page numbering options. Looked at every code on the first 4-5 pages (.i..ii..iii..1..2) got rid of a few delay codes and just tried everything I could think of. And all of the sudden all the pages were correct when generated. So I am not really sure what really fixed it, but am sure it had to do with one of the codes.

Gloria

-